How to manually sync a run from Garmin Connect to Strava
If you’ve recorded a run using your Garmin but for some unknown reason it hasn’t automatically been sent to Strava, there is a way to manually add it.
The problem seems to be that Garmin thinks the activity has been sent but Strava didn’t receive it. There’s no feedback between the two so it’s not sent again and there’s currenty no way to synchronise the two.
After investigating, it seems like the only way to get the activity into Strava is by manually downloading it from Garmin and uploading it into Strava – both of which can only be done from the respective desktop sites, not using the apps.
Te following is easiest using a desktop computer or laptop as trying to do this from a mobile phone runs the risk of being redirected from the desktop site to the native app.
All activities are stored by Garmin as TCX files. Here’s how we’ve been able to manually add unsynchronised runs fro Garmin into Strava:
- Log in to the desktop version of Garmin Connect via a web browser (note you won’t be able to download your run from the Garmin app on your phone)
- Go to https://connect.garmin.com/signin
- Once logged in to Garmin Connect, click on the navigation on the left-hand side, then click on ‘all activities’ which is under the ‘activities’ heading (see image below)
- Now in the ‘all activities’ view, click on the title of the activity you’d like to add to Strava (see image below)
- You’ll now see the full activity page. Click on the ‘gear’ icon in the top-right and, from the drop-down menu, select ‘export to TCX’ and download the TCX file to your computer (see image below)
- Log into Strava using an internet browser (note: you won’t be able to upload the TCX file to Strava using the Strava mobile app)
- When you’ve logged in, click the orange ‘plus’ icon from the top-right then click ‘upload activity’ (see image below)
- Browse to the TCX file you downloaded in step 4. And upload it
- once uploaded, refresh your Strava activity and you should now see the new activity